Oy! Making the contract has turned out to be quite the problem. My group had managed to finish most of it on Thursday, but we had a few kinks to work out, particularly the dates for our milestones. And of course, the snow made it virtually impossible to meet over the weekend.
So, come about Monday morning, I see that no one has done any editing to our practice contract. I make a new final contract, do a little editing, invite everyone to join, and send out emails to my group. Monday night, no one has done any editing, so I do a little more. Monday morning comes, and still no editing, so I finish it up and send to Dr. McClurken. While I was very glad all of my classes were canceled, I couldn’t figure out why no one else in my group seemed to care about the contract getting done.
But then I get an email back from Dr. McClurken saying that we have two contracts! Turns out, Lauren was wondering the same thing I was about the group and finished one up on her own. She also apparently sent out emails and an invitation to her contract that I know I at the very least didn’t get.
Fortunately, we got it sorted out, but now I’m wondering what was up with Gmail for our emails not to go through. Next time, I’m definitely trying several forms of communication to make sure the group’s on the same page. Google Wave seems to have worked, though I hadn’t checked it until yesterday afternoon. Lauren had made a wave the day before about the contract, and it was my own fault for not looking at it sooner.
I think that if the group had shared phone numbers, this problem would not have happened. So we should definitely exchange our numbers, as that’s still one of the surest ways to get into contact with someone efficiently. This class may be about awesome computer technology, but sometimes good old fashioned tech can still come in handy. The telephone is not outdated yet!
I think we’ve learned a little something about better coordinating our efforts, and hopefully we can avoid this sort of miscommunication in the future.